Are you curious about rising applied sciences? Does the prospect of operating a model new programme of labor encourage you?
Do you wish to work in a quick paced, autonomous and stretching function that can give you vital publicity to business and senior stakeholders?
If that’s the case, this distinctive and thrilling alternative as our Head of Counter-Drone Science and Know-how is for you, and we’d love to listen to from you.
Drones have lengthy promised to supply vital societal advantages, akin to autonomous search and rescue operations, private flying taxis or superior constructing development. With the emergence of recent know-how comes the chance they are going to be misused for nefarious functions. That is your alternative to guide the science and know-how improvement which can safe our transport networks from the malicious use of drones. You can be on the forefront of this new, fascinating and thrilling area, setting the long run path for years to return. You’ll set up and lead a brand new programme of scientific work to know the potential risk from drones, now and sooner or later, and develop the aptitude to counter them. You’ll generate sturdy proof base, utilizing it to advise ministers and senior officers, influencing decision-making within the UK and internationally.
The scope of the counter-drone problem is broad, advanced and nonetheless unwell outlined. You’ll not have management over all of the assets that you must sort out this problem alone, so will want the assist and cooperation of others to understand success. Due to this fact, you have to to construct trusted partnerships with different Authorities departments, manufacturing business, transport operators, universities and worldwide counterparts, leveraging their counter-drone initiatives to fulfill Departmental goals.
It’s superior applied sciences that allow drones to function. Superior applied sciences, akin to synthetic intelligence, are additionally more likely to play a key function in future drone countermeasures. To achieve this function you have to to be agile and modern in your method to supply and the applied sciences you discover to sort out the risk. The velocity of drone technological development units the excessive tempo of this function. Not solely will that you must deal with right now’s drawback, however you have to to anticipate and put together for tomorrow’s, making certain options are suitably future-proofed.
This submit sits within the Division’s Analysis, Evaluation and Improvement (RAD) Crew. The staff is chargeable for offering technical assist within the improvement of insurance policies and regulation that protects transport methods and the travelling public from terrorist assaults. Provision of recommendation and proof in underpinned by a £6.5M analysis programme, which the staff designs, administers and facilitates the exploitation of. We’re a various, passionate, pleasant, technical, devoted and supportive staff that’s dedicated to making sure the safety of transport, in addition to the prosperity of the UK and transport business. We’re internationally famend as a technical authority on transport safety, and have robust collaborations with many worldwide companions, together with the US and Europe.
Inside your function you can be chargeable for:
• Main the formulation and supply of DfT’s new counter-drone analysis programme, leveraging business, academia and worldwide companions, to ship new capabilities and proof. Take a methods view of all the drawback and answer house, designing a programme that’s holistic and prioritised;
• Overseeing reporting of the DfT counter-drone programme, making certain supply to time, price and high quality, offering common updates to the RAD Programme Supervisor. Determine and handle programme danger and points, actively mitigating them and escalating to seniors as required;
• Main the Division’s counter-drone science and know-how (S&T) engagement with different authorities departments, making certain alignment and appropriate prioritisation of labor. Leverage cross-government initiatives to fulfill departmental goals, managing the connection with different S&T counter-drone results in foster Authorities coherence, communication and collaboration;
• Growing a strong proof base on the risk posed by the malicious use of drones, utilizing it to drive knowledgeable coverage making, danger evaluation and recommendation to ministers or senior officers;
• Working with producers and operators to develop system-wide approaches to counter-drone challenges, making certain that options are authorized and meet finish consumer wants. Utilise present initiatives the place doable, akin to the event of Unmanned Air Site visitors Administration, to ship safety advantages while not impeding the UK’s helpful adoption of drones;
• In partnership with different authorities initiatives, figuring out market failure within the counter-drone know-how business the place authorities intervention is required. Align departmental S&T to assist business meet counter-drone challenges, selling the UK as a world chief in counter-drone know-how;
• Looking for and interesting new funding alternatives in live performance with different authorities departments, to ship the technical features of the UK’s Counter-Unmanned Plane Technique;
• Sustaining an outline of testing and analysis programmes happening throughout authorities and internationally, making certain that outcomes assist transport safety operators implementation of efficient functionality;
• Working by way of different elements of governments, lead the event of a holistic image of the long run use of drones, together with related rising applied sciences which allow them, utilizing it to drive the event of future-proofed coverage;
• Main the DfT’s worldwide counter-drone S&T engagement, working intently with different like-minded international locations to share and collaborate. Constructing robust working relationships to collectively ship S&T, offering the UK with improved worth for cash or elevated functionality.
You don’t have to know something about drones or safety to achieve success on this function, however what you have to is a willingness and a ardour to be taught. You’ll have glorious communication abilities each verbally and in writing, with the power to adapt your supply to swimsuit all kinds of audiences, maximising each impression and understanding. You’re somebody who positive factors rapport shortly with others as you construct efficient working relationships with each colleagues and stakeholders.
You’ll have confidence in your skill to return in and make an actual impression inside our staff the place you’ll lead from the entrance and drive these round you to realize the identical shared goals. You’ll have glorious organisational abilities with the power to handle a number of and sometimes conflicting priorities to time and of a excessive commonplace. You’re somebody who just isn’t afraid to problem, and who can push again to our stakeholders the place crucial in managing their expectations.
Our mission on the Division for Transport is ‘connecting folks and locations’. The whole lot we do to realize that is strengthened by our values:
– Confidence: to problem, to take motion, to innovate
– Excellence: in our professionalism, in our supply, in our studying
– Teamwork: we’re inclusive, we collaborate, we assist one another
These values outline the sort of organisation we wish to be – delivering for right now while being bold for tomorrow.
We embrace variety and have fun our variations. Everyone seems to be concerned in making DfT an inclusive and great spot to work. We actively promote a versatile method to working while giving our workers alternatives to maximise their abilities and obtain their full potential.
We’re completely different folks, one staff.
Discover out extra about what it’s like working on the Division for Transport.
Candidates should have a level in a STEM topic
We’ll assess you towards these behaviours through the choice course of:
Seeing the Large PictureCommunicating and InfluencingWorking Collectively
We’ll assess you towards these technical abilities through the choice course of:
Skilled – Science and Engineering Framework – Making use of scientific and technical information
Being a part of our sensible Civil Service means you should have entry to a variety of incredible advantages. We provide beneficiant annual go away, engaging pension choices, versatile working, inclusive working environments and way more to assist a wholesome work/life stability.
Issues that you must know
Profitable candidates should go a disclosure and barring safety examine.Profitable candidates should meet the safety necessities earlier than they are often appointed. The extent of safety wanted is safety examine.
Choice course of particulars
This emptiness is utilizing Success Profiles, and can assess your Behaviours, Expertise and Technical abilities.
When contemplating your expertise, please tailor your CV/Private Assertion to supply proof of when you might have:
• Constructed and Maintained efficient relationships, at varied ranges of seniority, to know stakeholder wants and priorities;
• Lead the profitable supply of technical initiatives or programmes, leveraging exterior alternatives to enhance outcomes;
• Stored updated with technological developments that you’ve used to affect your space of labor;
• Managed expectations, making well-judged choices primarily based on a sound proof and agency understanding of the consumer and enterprise wants.
The sift is because of happen 17/03/20.
Interview/evaluation shall be held between 30/03/20 and 03/04/20.
Interview location to be confirmed.
We are going to attempt to meet the dates set out within the advert. There could also be events when these dates will change. You can be supplied with enough discover of the confirmed dates.
The choice course of shall be designed particularly for the function. In consequence, your evaluation may embody:
• an interview
The Division for Transport alongside different Authorities Departments recruit utilizing Success Profiles. This implies for every function we contemplate what you have to to show as a way to achieve success. This provides us the absolute best likelihood of discovering the appropriate individual for the job, drives up efficiency and improves variety and inclusivity. For additional info on Success Profiles please click on right here
Your interview might encompass a spread of query varieties. These might embody questions on:
• what energises and motivates you
• how you’ll handle conditions related to the function
• your earlier expertise
• your skilled abilities and information
You’re inspired to turn out to be acquainted with the function profile, as you could be assessed towards any of the standards recorded inside.
We now have adopted anonymised recruitment. Which means that your identify, date of delivery and different private particulars is not going to be seen by the sift panel.
We might maintain a benefit checklist for as much as twelve months. Throughout this time, if an analogous function is recognized and you’ve got been positioned on the benefit checklist you could be thought of for the submit. Throughout the benefit checklist interval, your software kind and choice info could also be shared throughout the division and its businesses.
Please see hooked up candidate notes for additional details about our recruitment course of.
If profitable and transferring from one other Authorities Division a legal document examine perhaps carried out.
Candidates who’re profitable at interview shall be, as a part of pre-employment screening topic to a examine on the Inside Fraud Database (IFD). This examine will present details about workers who’ve been dismissed for fraud or dishonesty offences. This examine additionally applies to workers who resign or in any other case go away earlier than being dismissed for fraud or dishonesty had their employment continued. Any applicant’s particulars held on the IFD shall be refused employment.
So as to course of purposes at once, we shall be sending a Felony Report Test to Disclosure and Barring Service in your behalf. Nonetheless, we recognise in distinctive circumstance some candidates will wish to ship their accomplished varieties direct. If you can be doing this, please advise Authorities Recruitment Service of your intention by emailing [email protected] stating the job reference quantity within the topic heading.
New entrants are anticipated to affix on the minimal of the pay band.
If an individual with disabilities is put at a considerable drawback in comparison with a non-disabled individual, we’ve got an obligation to make cheap adjustments to our processes.
Should you want a change to be made with the intention to make your software, you must:
Contact Authorities Recruitment Service by way of [email protected] as quickly as doable earlier than the deadline to debate your wants Full the “Help required” part within the “Extra necessities” web page of your software kind to inform us what adjustments or make it easier to would possibly want additional on within the recruitment course of. As an illustration, you could want wheelchair entry at interview, or when you’re deaf, a Language Service Skilled.
Any transfer to the Division For Transport will imply you’ll not be capable of keep it up claiming childcare vouchers.
Suggestions will solely be offered when you attend an interview or evaluation.
Open to UK, Commonwealth and European Financial Space (EEA) and sure non EEA nationals. Additional info on whether or not you’ll be able to apply is offered right here.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code units out the requirements of behaviour anticipated of civil servants.
We recruit by benefit on the premise of truthful and open competitors, as outlined within the Civil Service Fee’s recruitment ideas.The Civil Service embraces variety and promotes equal alternatives. As such, we run a Incapacity Assured Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimal choice standards.
Apply and additional info
Contact level for candidates
Should you really feel your software has not been handled in accordance with the Recruitment Rules and also you want to make a grievance, within the first occasion, you must contact Authorities Recruitment Companies by way of electronic mail: [email protected] In case you are not happy with the response you obtain from the Division, you possibly can contact the Civil Service Fee: Click on right here (https://civilservicecommission.unbiased.gov.uk/) to go to Civil Service Fee